New Hanover County, local elections board share differing views on third-party review
In the wake of Election Day last year, it became clear that a significant number of absentee ballots had not been counted as part of the tally on November 5.
Over the next two weeks, amid frustration voiced by county officials and candidates, elections officials explained that they had quietly instituted an earlier deadline for absentee ballots. This led to roughly 1,950 ballots that legally should have been counted on Election Day instead being set aside and added to the final count later prior to canvass, when vote totals are finalized. New Hanover County Board of Elections (NHCBOE) cited the pressure of recent changes to the law and increased turnout as the reason for that decision.
Later that month, County Manager Chris Coudriet authorized up to $30,000 for the Parker Poe law firm to investigate NHCBOE to review their policies to make sure they complied with best practices and the law and to make recommendations for potential improvement.
At the time, Elections Director Rae Hunter-Havens told WHQR the Board of Elections had declined to participate, saying they needed more time to analyze the scope and scale of the planned review, and because they had been told by the North Carolina State Board of Elections director and general counsel that the audit greenlit by Coudriet was beyond the scope of the countys authority. According to documents provided by the county, the Hunter-Havens and the elections board would decline several additional requests to participate, as well.
https://www.whqr.org/local/2025-03-14/new-hanover-county-local-elections-board-share-differing-views-on-third-party-review