Federal judge hears arguments to decide the future of Trump's federal funding freeze
Source: NPR
February 21, 2025 7:50 PM ET
A federal judge in Rhode Island heard arguments on Friday about whether to further block the Trump administration from freezing trillions of dollars in federal grants and other spending.
It's the latest development in a lawsuit brought by Democratic attorneys general in 22 states and the District of Columbia, who argue that the freeze is unlawful and would have devastating consequences nationwide. The White House, in turn, has said the pause is necessary to review federal funding and ensure spending aligns with President Trump's priorities.
The funding freeze had already been blocked by U.S. District Judge John McConnell Jr. last month through a temporary restraining order. Two weeks later, McConnell ruled that the Trump administration was not in compliance with the court order after plaintiffs presented examples of federal funds that were still being delayed or inaccessible. On Friday, McConnell said he would leave the temporary restraining order in place, but that he hoped to have a final ruling on the case in about a week.
The case represents a pivotal test for the administration, as it pursues a dramatic restructuring of the federal workforce and government spending. The White House has faced legal challenges on multiple fronts in response to that effort, several of which have resulted in orders to restore funding at least temporarily. Yet the administration has sought to maneuver around orders, as in the Rhode Island case and a case dealing with funding of the U.S. Agency for International Development.
Read more: https://www.npr.org/2025/02/21/g-s1-50084/trump-funding-freeze-court-hearing