Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

BumRushDaShow

(150,063 posts)
Fri Feb 21, 2025, 05:28 PM Feb 21

AP sues 3 Trump administration officials, citing freedom of speech

Last edited Fri Feb 21, 2025, 06:25 PM - Edit history (1)

Source: AP

Updated 5:08 PM EST, February 21, 2025


The Associated Press sued three Trump administration officials Friday over access to presidential events, citing freedom of speech in asking a federal judge to stop the blocking of its journalists. The lawsuit was filed Friday afternoon in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., 10 days after the White House began restricting access to the news agency.

The AP says its case is about an unconstitutional effort by the White House to control speech — in this case not changing its style from the Gulf of Mexico to the “Gulf of America,” as President Donald Trump did last month with an executive order.

“The press and all people in the United States have the right to choose their own words and not be retaliated against by the government,” the AP said in its lawsuit, which names White House chief of staff Susan Wiles, deputy chief of staff Taylor Budowich and press secretary Karoline Leavitt.

“This targeted attack on the AP’s editorial independence and ability to gather and report the news strikes at the very core of the First Amendment,” the news agency said. “This court should remedy it immediately.” There was no immediate comment from the administration.

Read more: https://apnews.com/article/ap-lawsuit-trump-administration-officials-0352075501b779b8b187667f3427e0e8



Article updated.

Original article -

Updated 4:22 PM EST, February 21, 2025


The Associated Press sued three Trump administration officials Friday over access to presidential events, citing freedom of speech in asking a federal judge to stop the 10-day blocking of its journalists. The lawsuit was filed Friday afternoon in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C.

The AP says its case is about an unconstitutional effort by the White House to control speech — in this case refusing to change its style from the Gulf of Mexico to the “Gulf of America,” as President Donald Trump did last month with an executive order.

“The press and all people in the United States have the right to choose their own words and not be retaliated against by the government,” the AP said in its lawsuit, which names White House Chief of Staff Susan Wiles, Deputy Chief of Staff Taylor Budowich and Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt.

“This targeted attack on the AP’s editorial independence and ability to gather and report the news strikes at the very core of the First Amendment,” the news agency said. “This court should remedy it immediately.” In stopping the AP from attending press events at the White House and Mar-a-Lago, or flying on Air Force One in the agency’s customary spot, the Trump team directly cited the AP’s decision not to fully follow the president’s renaming.
15 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
AP sues 3 Trump administration officials, citing freedom of speech (Original Post) BumRushDaShow Feb 21 OP
At least one news organization knows how to respond jgmiller Feb 21 #1
Would seem to be a consequential case BeyondGeography Feb 21 #2
Excellent, and the other media cowards should hang their heads in shame. JohnSJ Feb 21 #3
Leave off the "their heads" and I agree with you. They support trump by surrendering their Wonder Why Feb 21 #6
Good for them. sinkingfeeling Feb 21 #4
Same issue at heart of CBS 60 Minutes case. They can edit and report as they see fit. /nt bucolic_frolic Feb 21 #5
I am hoping that CBS doesn't cave BumRushDaShow Feb 21 #8
Good! Paladin Feb 21 #7
LOL LetMyPeopleVote Feb 21 #9
I have a couple dozen news sites in tabs BumRushDaShow Feb 21 #10
I am not as fanatic but I am also a Newsie LetMyPeopleVote Feb 21 #11
I can tell! BumRushDaShow Feb 21 #12
I am former high school and college debater LetMyPeopleVote Feb 21 #13
Working for the feds for 30+ years BumRushDaShow Feb 21 #14
By saying they were being removed because of Trump's asinine acts with the Gulfs name I think the AP will win. cstanleytech Feb 22 #15

Wonder Why

(5,331 posts)
6. Leave off the "their heads" and I agree with you. They support trump by surrendering their
Fri Feb 21, 2025, 06:25 PM
Feb 21

First Amendment rights.

Paladin

(29,970 posts)
7. Good!
Fri Feb 21, 2025, 06:35 PM
Feb 21

The rest of the mainstream media need to take off their trump-mandated kneepads and do the same...immediately.

BumRushDaShow

(150,063 posts)
10. I have a couple dozen news sites in tabs
Fri Feb 21, 2025, 08:28 PM
Feb 21

plus an iPad that gets the breaking news banners (from the news apps).

I'm just a "newsie", ever since I was a kid (with a 9-volt transistor radio).

LetMyPeopleVote

(160,914 posts)
13. I am former high school and college debater
Fri Feb 21, 2025, 08:47 PM
Feb 21

On the debate circuit, you have to support all arguments with citations or sources. Back in the old days before the internet, I remember taking turns reading the congressional record. I still automatically read material and automatically determine if the material advance one of my arguments/points of view.

BTW, the law is similar in that you have to support all arguments with case cites or other relevant authority. I still remember doing all nighters to fact check law review articles

BumRushDaShow

(150,063 posts)
14. Working for the feds for 30+ years
Fri Feb 21, 2025, 09:13 PM
Feb 21

and then having access to CSPAN resulted in me becoming a CSPAN junkie... watching the appropriation markups or any hearings dealing with my agency. That way I would know what my upcoming workload was before getting the "All Hands" messages about it.

And before we even had any computers, we had to wait weeks before we got the printed "All Hands" memo telling us that some Congressional Committee requested that we "provide copies of all info related to (fill in the blank subject) ". We were to give it to a supervisor to box up to send to our headquarters so they could compile and hand over to the Committee! I had known weeks before due to watching the hearing so already checked to see if I had been involved in whatever they were discussing and if I was, I had already gotten the stuff together.

Them were the snail mail days!

cstanleytech

(27,500 posts)
15. By saying they were being removed because of Trump's asinine acts with the Gulfs name I think the AP will win.
Sat Feb 22, 2025, 08:52 AM
Feb 22
Latest Discussions»Latest Breaking News»AP sues 3 Trump administr...